Friday, May 27, 2005

Cat Like Reflexes

I'm getting a little older but my reflexes don't seem to have suffered much.

I was on the freeway late this morning and Nissan pickup changed lanes abruptly. Unfortuntely he wanted to occupy the space on the freeway that I was currently using. I don't know how it is that he didn't see me since I was half a car length ahead of him.

I was on the phone (without my hands free set) and I had cruise control set on 70. I saw him out of my peripheral vision before he saw me and I knew that there was no one on my left so I punched the gas, grabbed the steering wheel both hands (still holding cell phone) and swerved out of the way. I was all the way in the other lane before the other guy swerved back to the right in his own lane.

After I was back under control and out of danger I said, "Mom, could you repeat that last part? I missed it because I almost died in a fiery car wreck."

It's amazing how time just slows down in a situation like that. The first time I saw a trailer for The Matrix and their slow motion thing I finally saw on screen about what it feels like when I get an adrenaline rush. It's a lot of fun sometimes.

Tell me your stories.