Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Blind & Blinderer

A Federal judge has determined that the government discriminates against the blind by issuing paper money.

No, I'm not making this up, read the article for yourself.

From the article:
"U.S. District Judge James Robertson ordered the Treasury Department to come up with ways for the blind to tell bills apart. He said he wouldn't tell officials how to fix the problem, but he ordered them to begin working on it."

Of course Congress can simply order the Treasury Department to belay the order. Such a move would give the judge a wedgie by virtue of the fact that judges have become accustomed to being obeyed with out question and he's going to get his undies in a bunch. They'll have to be pulled out with the Jaw of Life; or perhaps Sir Elton John will do it with his own teeth.

I guess no one has to prove intent when it comes to discrimination anymore. It's as if this moronic judge is saying there has been a centuries long conspiracy to frustrate blind people through the money system.

No one has the right not to be inconvenienced. If you're blind you have to adapt. If you have no legs you have to adapt. If you're just plain stupid, as this judge clearly is, you simply have to adapt.

As I was writing this I had a grand idea. I could make a money scanner that a blind person could carry around and scan the money he receives from a bank or a store, etc. Clever chap though I am, I decided to go see if someone else was just as clever. Alas, I am too late to make my fortune with that invention. A company called Brytech is already making note readers for the blind. The Canadian government already gives them away to it's blind people. As much as I am in complete dis-favor of more government handouts, I'd much rather see the government purchase these in bulk and give them away to the blind than spend billions on taking our old money out of circulation and issuing all new bills. Not to mention the huge cost this would impose on the vending machine industry (higher prices for everyone!) and everything else that has been adapted to the presumably reliable shape and size of our worthless currency.