Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Really Bad Joke

In light of the battle going on in the comments of the circumcision thread below, I couldn't help but remember a joke I heard years ago.

If this joke is offensive to anyone I apologize in advance that you are so easily offended (i.e. too bad).

A very odd, but prominent Rabbi was about to retire. As it turns out, he collected and preserved the foreskins of all the boys he circumcised. He decided to have something made for himself from his collection.

He went to a leather crafter that he knew, showed him the collection and asked him to make something very special to commemorate his years of service in the Temple. The craftsman said, "I have just the thing for you. I will not tell you what it is right now, come back in two weeks, you shall not be disappointed."

The Rabbi waited patiently for two weeks. In the mean time he had his retirement party, received the well wishes of all those that looked up to him over the years. Free now from his duties, he strolls in the leather shop with the gait of a man who has no more worries. "Well my friend, I am anxious to see your excellent craftsmanship! What did you make for me?"

The old craftsman bends down and pulls out a small box and sets it on the counter before him. "Go ahead and open it."

The Rabbi looked very concerned. He opens the box, and takes out the contents. It's a wallet. "A wallet?! A WALLET?! A commemoration of my life's work and all I get out of it a stinking wallet?!" Of course there were plenty of "Oi vey's" cast about as well.

"Please my friend," said the shop owner and put up his hands in a calming gesture. "Calm yourself for a moment."

The Rabbi took a deep breath and calmed down. "I am calm."

The man looks at the Rabbi, picks up the wallet and when he rubbed it vigorously for about 30 seconds, it turned in to a set of luggage.