Thursday, April 28, 2005

Reading History

I've been getting more interested in reading historical works but I have a little problem and I'd like your opinion.

First of all, I realize that all history books are not only slanted but incomplete. My question is this:

How do I choose a history book that is reliable or the least unreliable?

For instance, a book written by a Muslim on the holocaust might be an interesting read but I am unlikely to get an accurate depiction of that tragedy. That's an easy one. What about a book on WWII? How should I know who's point of view of that war to trust?

Writers are biased, it's hard to deny that. When writing a historical work, a writer has to choose which facts to keep and which to leave out. Which historical point of view gets the most coverage?

Your thoughts on this subject are welcome.