Monday, May 16, 2005

Are We In North America?

This is not a joke.

I work with a 20 year old girl who was maleducated in the public system. She's very smart really, just ill informed. This afternoon she was on a website for a company that had divisions all over the world. On this particular website, she had to select which continent she was on.

She turned around and asked, "Are we in North America?"

I couldn't help but laugh my butt off. If she was just a dumb person, I would have given her a straight answer but I expected better of her so I didn't attempt to conceal either my astonishment or amusement.

I spent the next hour quizzing her on geography. Oh, it was pathetic. She couldn't name all of the continents. She didn't know which continent Russia was in. She had a hard time naming a country in Europe. Finally she managed to figure out that France was in Euorope.

A good time was had by all.